Cool Off, Save Cash This Summer
All of us are looking for ways to save energy and lower our costs. From buying energy efficient (ENERGY STAR®) appliances to doing the “little things” we can all make a positive difference. Throughout your home, there are dozens of easy ways to save energy and save money. Here are just a few to consider.
Lower Heating, Ventilation, and Cooling Costs
There are some simple, easy things you can do around your home to lower your heating, ventilation, and cooling costs.
· Leave at least 90% of air vents open to balance air pressure
· Clean debris and vegetation from elements
· Inspect air ducts annually
· Replace air conditioner filters monthly or as needed
· Set your air conditioner to "Auto"—not "On"
· Consider installing a programmable thermostat
· Close windows, doors, pet doors, and fireplace dampers when not in use
· Inspect basement and attic insulation often
· Make sure weather stripping, caulking, and gaskets are intact
Lower Summer Cooling Costs
In summer, you want to keep the cool air in and the hot air out. These suggestions can help you do just that while lowering your cooling costs every month:
· Shade windows on sunny exposures with plants, awnings, draperies, and so forth
· Change evaporative cooler pads each spring
· Set the thermostat to 24°C–27°C if at home
· Raise the thermostat to 29°C when away
· Set ceiling fans to blow downward
· Refrain from doing heat-generating chores during the day (baking, etc.)
· Don’t run refrigerators in hot garages or on the patio